You are here
Apply for Educational Benefits
1. Determine eligibility of benefits through the VA. Begin an application for benefits online or contact the VA regional office directly:
Department of Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
NOTE: All veterans are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during enrollment processing which can be completed at http://www.fafsa.gov. In some situations veterans drawing benefits through the VA, may have additional eligibility for institutional assistance (e.g. scholarships and grants). However, students who are using the Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits and qualify for 100% tuition coverage, are not eligible for additional institutional assistance.
2. Schedule appointment with certifying official at the Ohio Northern University Financial Aid office. Several forms may be required to begin processing student veteran’s paperwork including:DD214 or for current National Guard and Reserve personnel a letter from commander certifying educational intent and Letter of Eligibility from the VA.Forms can vary depending on type of benefit being claimed.Certifying official will clarify which forms are needed.
3. Individual follow-up appointment if necessary to discuss further benefits that may be available to veteran.
Retaining my Educational Benefits:
All veterans are required to notify the VA-benefits certifying official of any changes listed here:
- Dropping any class or decreasing credit hours by any means
- Adding a class or increasing credit hours by any means
- Deployment (National Guard or Reserve): copy of orders required