You are here
Applying for Benefits
1. Determine your eligibility for benefits through the VA. Begin an application (link to http://www.va.gov/onlineapps.htm) for benefits online or contact the VA regional office directly:Department of Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
2. Schedule an appointment with the certifying official at the Ohio Northern University Office of Financial Aid. Several forms are required to begin processing student veteran’s paperwork, including DD214 or letter from commander certifying educational intent (current National Guard and Reserve personnel) and Letter of Eligibility from the VA. Forms can vary depending on type of benefit being claimed. Certifying officials will clarify which forms are needed before your appointment.
3. Individual follow-up appointment if necessary to discuss further benefits that may be available.
Retaining Educational Benefits
All veterans are required to notify the VA benefits certifying official of any changes listed here:
- Dropping any class or decreasing credit hours by any means
- Adding a class or increasing credit hours by any means
- Deployment (National Guard or Reserve) – copy of orders required
NOTE: All veterans are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during enrollment processing. In some situations, veterans drawing benefits through the VA may have additional eligibility for institutional assistance (e.g. scholarships and grants). However, students who are using the Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits and qualify for 100 percent tuition coverage are not eligible for additional institutional assistance.