You are here
Prerequisites and Restrictions
Course prerequisites and course restrictions, as specified in the University Catalog, are checked in the registration process.
Course prerequisites, co-requisites and restrictions are cumulative in their effect on a student’s ability to register (i.e., all conditions must be satisfied before enrollment will be permitted).
There are three types of inclusive course restrictions:
- Restrictions of courses to students in a college: e.g., only students in the College of Pharmacy can enroll in pharmacy classes.
- Restrictions of courses to students with specific major(s): e.g., only students with math majors can enroll in MATH 4401.
- Restrictions of courses to students with a minimum class: e.g., only students who are junior or senior standing can enroll in SOC 4811.
Restrictions can also be exclusive.
- Restrictions of courses to students with specific major(s): e.g., only students who are not physics majors can enroll in PSYC 2151.
In establishing these prerequisites and restrictions, it is assumed that satisfaction of a prerequisite course requires a minimum grade of a D and must have been in a prior term. In some cases the catalog course description allows concurrency or requires a grade different from D.
Prerequisites: These are courses or test (ACT or SAT) scores. These can involve "and"s and "or"s .
Co-requisites: These are course(s) which must be taken at the same time with the selected course and usually are in pairs. There is no "or" within the corequisite structure. If BIOL 3521 has "Corequisites BIOL 2171 and 3511," then student who enrolls for BIOL 3521 must register for both BIOL 2171 and BIOL 3511.
- For BIOL 1341 "Corequisite BIOL 1361" and for BIOL 1361 "Corequisite BIOL 1341"
- For EDUC 4701 "Corequisite EDUC 4451"
Course restrictions are based on student characteristics:
College(s) (Include or Exclude)
Examples: Include only AS or Exclude PH and BU
- Enrollment restricted to students in the College of Arts & Sciences
- Enrollment restricted to students not in the college of College of Pharmacy or College of Business
Major(s) (Include or Exclude)
Examples: Include only BIOL or Exclude HIST and PLSC
- Enrollment restricted to students majoring in biology
- Enrollment restricted to students not majoring in history or political science
Class(s) (Include or Exclude)
Examples: Include juniors and seniors or Exclude freshmen
- Enrollment restricted to students who are juniors or seniors
- Enrollment restricted to students who are not freshmen