Military Called to Active Duty
ONU Faculty Handbook
3.29 Students Drafted or Called into Reserves
1. If a student is drafted or recalled to active military duty during an academic quarter or semester, full refund of tuition and fees will be made. No refunds will be made in those cases where the student earns academic credit for the quarter or semester.
2. If a student is drafted or recalled after the seventh week of the quarter, or tenth week of the semester, the student may, at the discretion of the dean of the college in which the subjects are taught make arrangements to take final examinations or otherwise complete the work for the quarter or semester.
The student should meet with the following ONU Offices/ Personnel and present his/her call-up orders for offices to copy and include in files as needed.
1. Dean of the Student's College
- Discuss plans upon return including re- registration.
- Discuss timetable for communication
- Initiate processing of a Withdrawal from the university form
2. Financial Aid Office
- Students are not required to make student loan payments while deployed.
- Lenders must postpone the student loan payments of these borrowers.
- Students who have not begun the repayment period on their loans continue to receive the benefit of a grace period (generally six months) before repaying their loans.
- Students must be given a reasonable period of time to resume school before lenders request student loan payments.
- A lender may grant a discretionary, administrative forbearance for up to three months to students who are affected by the military mobilization.
- If a borrower is in default on a loan, the lender must cease all collection activities for the expected period of the borrower's military service.
3. Controller's Office
- Process form to withdraw from the University.
- Discuss refund application.
- Discuss Loan Deferment.
Discuss account activity.
4. Student Affairs/Residence Life (If applicable)
- Discuss housing needs, if any, upon return to ONU.
5. Registrar's Office
- Discuss plans for return
- Discuss transcript notation as to reason for withdrawal "Called to Active Duty US NAVY 20-Mar-2003".
- Process the student's form to withdraw from the university.
- A copy of the call-up orders will be made for inclusion in the student's file.
- The student could complete an Application for Re-admission (1 page), and leave it with his/her college dean prior to leaving campus. OR
- Two weeks prior to the start of the next term of enrollment the student should contact the Admissions Office, obtain and complete an Application for Re-admission (1 page), and return it to the Admissions Office. OR
- Two weeks prior to the start of the next term of enrollment the student could contact his/her college dean and have an Application for Re-admission (1 page), completed by the deans office and sent to the Admission's Office.
More Information about Military Duty/Veterans Information can be found on the ONU Veteran's pages.