CONSTITUTION OF THE OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY SECRETARIAL ASSOCIATION
This organization shall be known as the Ohio Northern University Secretarial Association (ONUSA).
The purpose of this organization is to provide an opportunity for the secretary to exalt her profession on all occasions, sincerely strive for a finer, more efficient service to the University community, and to foster good relations among secretaries.
Section 1- INTEGRITY
The ONU Secretary shall be courteous, conscientious, and professional in all her associations with administrators, office personnel, students, faculty, and all visitors to the University.
The ONU Secretary should not disclose any information of a confidential nature. She should conduct herself so as to inspire confidence and respect. She should avoid voicing her unfavorable, personal opinions or criticism of University employees, unless that criticism is formally presented to a University official for the welfare of the University.
The ONU Secretary should refrain from using her influence to secure a promotion or to obtain favors for other people.
Section 2- SKILL
The ONU Secretary should perform her duties with speed and accuracy.
The ONU Secretary should make the office a congenial and welcome place for all without allowing it to become a social center.
The ONU Secretary should practice good interpersonal and good public relations through cheerfulness, honesty, tactfulness, understanding, patience and good judgment.
Those persons eligible for membership in this organization shall consist of non-academic secretarial, clerical and office employees of the University. To become a member, the eligible individual must pay the yearly dues. The member is then entitled to the following benefits:
- Invitation to the annual Fall, Christmas and Spring ONUSA meetings, as well as any special meetings called by the President. (The Christmas Party is sponsored by the University and, therefore, non-members are also invited.)
- Voting privileges.
- Receipt of appropriate acknowledgements by the Courtesy Committee.
- Receipt of the ONUSA Newsletter.
- Upon retirement, the ONUSA member will receive and appropriate gift from the Association. The means and extent of retirement gift will be at the discretion of the officers and commensurate with finances of the organization.
- Receipt of the ONUSA Directory (a service to all University secretaries).
Membership shall also be extended to temporary part-time secretarial employees of the University and secretarial employees of the food service company contracted with the University. This membership shall entitle them to the benefits listed in Section 1; 1-6 except voting privileges will be limited to those issues which are pertinent to the temporary part-time secretarial employees and food service secretarial employees (i.e. trips, etc). Whether or not the item being voted upon is pertinent to these secretaries will be determined by the President prior to the vote being taken.
The officers shall consist of President, Vice-President, and Secretary-Treasurer.
A slate of officers will be presented for election at the Spring Quarter meeting and nominations will be accepted from the floor. New officers shall serve a one-year term beginning June 1 following the election.
There will be the following standing committees: Program Committee, Courtesy Committee, Secretaries' Welfare Committee, Nominating Committee and Publicity Committee.
- The meetings of this organization will be held once each quarter during the regular academic year, namely September through May, at a time set by the President and the Chairman of the Program Committee.
- Schedule a "get acquainted" gathering of all members during lunch the first of September including any new secretaries on campus.
Special meeting may be called at the discretion of the President.
Only dues-paying member will be eligible to vote.
- For the purpose of transacting business, a quorum of 25% of the dues paying members must be present.
- The meeting agenda will be sent to each ONUSA member prior to any official meeting.
The Constitution may be amended at any official meeting by a two-thirds vote of members present. (To be an official meeting a quorum of 25% of the dues paying members must be present).
DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section 1- President
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the organization.
- The President shall serve as the Chairman of the Nominating Committee and as an ex-officio member al all other committees.
- The President shall appoint all committees of the ONUSA with the advice of the executive officers.
- The president shall perform all other duties pertaining to the office.
Section 2-Vice President
- In the absence of the President, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President.
- In case of vacancy, the Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President and another Vice-President shall be elected.
- The Vice-President shall serve as chairman of the Program Committee.
- The Vice-President shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Welfare Committee.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep the minutes of the meetings of the organization.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall have charge of all papers and documents conduct all correspondence, read all letters and send out all notices.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall receive all funds of this organization; collect all dues, pay the bills, keep an itemized account of receipts and expenditures and present a full financial report of the organization at each meeting.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall serve as an ex-officio member of the Program and Welfare Committee.