You are here
Student Technology Recommendations
The Office of Information Technology does not recommend a specific vendor for computer purchases. Both Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh systems are supported. However, the following minimum requirements should be met when purchasing a new computer. The College of Law and the College of Business Administration recommend a laptop.
- Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual Core or greater
- Memory: 3 GB of RAM or greater
- Hard Drive: 128 GB or greater
- Microsoft: Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Apple: Mac OSX 10.8 or greater
Software Provided by the University:
- Current Microsoft Windows Operating System (upgrade license)
- Microsoft Office (Windows and Mac OS X) - Get Office 365
- Wired network ports are available in residential rooms (ethernet cable provided at the IT Drop Off Center).
- For devices without built-in Ethernet, consider a USB Ethernet adapter.
- Wireless: 802.11b/g is available in academic and residential areas. Some areas are 802.1n
- Printers are accessible in academic labs. Consider purchasing a personal printer (wireless printing not supported).
- Android Tablet or iPad
- A USB Flash/Thumb drive (16 GB or greater)
- Wireless mouse for laptop
- Extra tablet/phone charger
- Verizon Wireless (4G on campus)
- ATT Wireless (3G on campus)
Please install the latest operating system patches and anti-virus updates available before you arrive on campus.
Technical support is available at the IT Drop Off Center located in Northern Commons room 121. Students can take computers there for software issues that cannot be resolved by e-mail to email@example.com or a phone call to (419) 772-1111.