Student Technology Recommendations
The Office of Information Technology does not recommend a specific vendor for computer purchases. Both Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh systems are supported. However, the following minimum requirements should be met when purchasing a new computer. The College of Law and the College of Business Administration recommend a laptop.
Ohio Northern University students are eligible for special educational pricing from the following vendors:
- Processor: Core i5 (4th Gen) or greater
- Memory: 8 GB of RAM or greater
- Hard Drive: 128 GB or greater
- Microsoft: Windows 10
- Apple: macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Software Provided by the University:
- Current Microsoft Windows Operating System (upgrade license)
- Microsoft Office (Windows and macOS) - Get Office 365
- Wired network ports are available in residential rooms (ethernet cable provided at the IT Help Desk).
- For devices without built-in Ethernet, consider an external Ethernet adapter.
- Wireless: 802.11g/n is available in academic and residential areas.
- Printers are accessible in academic labs. Consider purchasing a personal printer (wireless printing not supported).
- Android Tablet or iPad
- A USB Flash/Thumb drive (16 GB or greater)
- Wireless mouse for laptop
- Extra phone charger
- Verizon Wireless (4G on campus)
- ATT Wireless (3G on campus)
Please install the latest operating system updates and anti-virus definitions before you arrive on campus.
Technical support is available at the IT Help Desk located in Northern Commons room 121. Students can take computers there for software issues that cannot be resolved by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or a phone call to (419) 772-1111.