Explore the Medicinal Herb Gardens at ONU
This is a completely hands-on laboratory experience. Students will learn to make herbal infusions, teas and tinctures, herbal soap, lip balm “vapo-rub,” marshmallows, aromatheraputics, and cough drops. Students will learn to identify locally grown herbs and the herbs in the Medicinal Herb Gardens at ONU and how to plant and harvest them.
What to bring?
You will want to bring a small amount of spending money since the university bookstore is usually open. Also, you can bring along some of your favorite snacks although there are vending machines located on campus, a local grocery store, and a Rite Aid for unplanned essentials.Bring a cell phone or calling card to make long-distance calls, sometimes Ada has poor reception for cell phones for such carriers as AT&T and Nextel. If you have a camera you may want to bring it. There are always picture perfect events all week long. The dorms are lockable and secure so you should be able to bring normal things such as clock radios, small CD players or alarm clocks. If medication needs to be dispensed, the SHI director will make appropriate arrangements.
List of essentials:
- Required medications (if any medications are to be dispensed, bring ample supplies and the SHI director will make appropriate arrangements.)
- Sturdy shoes for off campus facilities (closed-toe shoes will be required, this means no flip-flops or sandals)
- Book bag for carrying notebook, etc.
- Pillow, pillow case
- Soap, comb and/or brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
- Hair dryer
- Shower clogs
- Long jeans or slacks
- Shirts or blouses
- Sweater or sweatshirt (classroom buildings are air conditioned and can be cool)
- Socks (at least one pair a day plus extra)
- Swimsuit and beach towel, sunscreen
- Rain gear
- One business casual outfit (i.e. khaki slacks/polo or dress shirt, skirt/blouse) for a special event
- Alarm clock
- Single extra long bedsheet, pillow, and blanket
What you do NOT have to bring?
Towels are provided. There will be snacks and bottled water provided during the day and evening. Do not bring candles or incense, TV, dart board, draperies, drum set, electric guitars, electric blankets, fire crackers, fish net wall hangings, flags, fire arms, halogen lamps, hot plates, all pets such as snakes, spiders, lizards, cats, dogs, birds and fish, sunlamps, heat lamps and space heaters, toaster ovens, valuables, water beds or weights.