You are here
Course requires additional $20 for travel.
This advanced course emphasizes the major probative areas of forensic science, including fingerprint analysis with latent prints collection and examination, DNA analysis, firearms identification, toxicology, and illicit drug chemistry. There will be less emphasis on crime scene investigation and a greater emphasis on laboratory science, although the ONU Crime Scene House will be utilized for the collection of evidence to be analyzed. Laboratory reports will be written and assessed, and feedback will be provided to the students.
What to bring:
There are always questions about what to bring to an overnight or week long activity. Here are some suggestions. You will want to bring a small amount of spending money since the university bookstore is usually open. Also, you can bring along some of your favorite snacks although there are vending machines located on campus, a local grocery store, and a Rite Aid for unplanned essentials. Bring a cell phone or calling card to make long-distance calls, sometimes Ada has poor reception for cell phones for such carriers as AT&T and Nextel. If you have a camera you may want to bring it. There are always picture perfect events all week long. The dorms are lockable and secure so you should be able to bring normal things such as clock radios, small CD players or alarm clocks. If medication needs to be dispensed, the SHI director will make appropriate arrangements.
List of essentials aside from normal everyday apparel:
- Alarm clock
- Soap, comb/brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
- Insect repellent – DEET-based works best, Off Brand, pump instead of aerosol
- Ball Cap
- Extra socks
- A pair of long jeans or slacks
- Shorts, shirts or blouses
- One nice outfit (khaki slacks/polo shirt) for Friday presentation
- Sweatshirt/jacket (classrooms are air conditioned and can be cool)
- Rain gear
- Comfortable shoes, closed toed shoes, shoes to be worn in the gym
- Hiking appropriate shoes
- Swimwear, beach towel
- Flashlight with new batteries
- If you anticipate washing clothes, bring along a small container of clothes detergent and $.25 for the washing machines
- Single extra long sheets, pillow and blanket
What you do NOT have to bring?
All meals are provided in the cafeteria. There will be snacks and bottled water provided during the day and evening. Don not bring candles or incense, TV, dart board, draperies, drum set, electric guitars, electric blankets, firecrackers, fish net wall hangings, flags, firearms, halogen lamps, hot plates, microwave ovens, pets such as snakes, spiders, lizards, cats, dogs, birds and fish, sunlamps, heat lamps and space heaters, toaster ovens, valuables, water beds or weights.