Check Out Policies
Patrons must use a valid ONU or Community User ID to borrow library materials. Loan periods vary by patron and material type.
|Type of Material||Loan Period|
|Audio Records||21 days|
|Compact Discs||14 days|
|HML Books - Faculty & Staff||Semester|
|HML Books - Students & Community Users||21 days|
|OhioLINK Books - Faculty & Staff||42 days|
|OhioLINK Books - Students & Community Users||21 days|
|Periodicals - Faculty & Staff||3 days|
|Reference Items||1 day|
|DVDs & Videos||7 days|
Provided another patron has not placed a hold on an item, patrons may renew items up to six times (two times for community users). Patrons can request renewals online through My Library Account, by calling the circulation desk at 419-772-2181, or in person at the Information Desk.
Fines vary based on type of material and accumulate until the item is returned. Students and community users are charged fines for all items. Faculty and staff are charged fines for OhioLINK items only.
After two overdue notices have been sent, items are assumed lost and patrons are billed for replacement costs and a processing fee. If the item is returned, the library will waive the replacement costs and processing fee, but patrons will still be responsible for payin the fine.
$0.10 PER DAY
Items issued for 21 days: Books, maps, records and audiocassettes, AV charts, AV kits, AV filmstrips.
$0.50 PER DAY
Items issued for 14 days: Compact discs
Items issued for 7 days: Videos / DVDs
$0.50 PER HOUR
Items issued for 4 hours: Items on reserve
Items issued for 2 hours: Items on reserve
$1.00 PER DAY
Items issued for 3 days: Items on reserve, and periodicals
Items issued for 1 day: Items on reserve, and reference
Items recalled after 7 days: Any books, maps, records and audiocassettes, AV charts, AV kits or AV filmstrips required by another patron.
Ohio Northern University retirees are entitled to the following library benefits:
- Borrowing of ONU Library and OhioLINK materials
- User of databases (in the library building only)
- Interlibrary loan (Please note that during busy times of the year, requests from current faculty and students will take priority)
Residents of Hardin County and surrounding counties (Allen, Auglaize, Hancock, Logan, Marion, Putnam, Union and Wyandot) may apply for a community user card. Proof of residency and a photo ID are required to apply for a card. The signature of a parent/guardian is also required for patrons under the age of 18. Community user cards are valid for one year. Cards not used within a 12 month period become inactive.
- Community users may only check out one item on their first visit
- Community users may have no more than five items on loan at a time
- Community users may not request items through OhioLINK or Interlibrary Loan
- Community users may not use public computers
- Community users may bring their own device and use the ONU Guest WiFi
- Community users may not recall items on loan to ONU borrowers
- All outstanding fines must be paid and all overdue materials returned in order to check out materials
Community users are responsible for notifying the library of address and telephone number changes, or if their card is lost. The library is not responsible for loss, theft, or misuse of the card. There is a $5.00 replacement charge for lost community user cards.
Heterick Memorial Library
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Friday: 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m.-Midnight