Acquisitions and Gifts
The library adds materials to its collection based on the Collection Development Policy. Majority of the items are purchased and donations are accepted based on the Gifts Policy.
Requesting materials for purchase:
Each department receives an allocation from the acquisitions budget. Materials may be purchased as long as funds are available in the department's allocation. Each department appoints a liaison (except for Business where the dean acts as the liaison) and requests for library materials should be sent to the liaison for approval. The departmental liaison will then forward the requests to their assigned library liaison. Liaisons are listed in the chart below.
The library also accepts general requests for purchases; General requests may be sent directly to the Collections and Electronic Resources Librarian (Kathleen Baril, firstname.lastname@example.org, x2188). General requests that are relevant to research/teaching program at ONU are purchased when funds are available.
Please visit the Heterick for Faculty and Staff Libguide for a list of the departmental liaisons
Gift Policy – Heterick Memorial Library
Heterick Memorial Library welcomes gifts of books and other library materials in good physical condition that meet the library’s needs. Gifts are treated as new acquisitions and are evaluated by the same standards applied to new purchases to safeguard the quality, consistency and relevance to the needs of the University. For more information about these standards, please see the library’s Collection Development Policy. Due to time constraints and expenses involved in coordinating the gift process, the library is most interested in materials that fall into the following categories:
- Materials that support the University’s current or anticipated curriculum.
- Materials that support faculty or student research needs especially those that relate to potential capstone papers or projects.
- Materials about or related to the history of the University or of historical significance regarding the University.
All gifts become the sole property of the library to use or dispose as the case may be. All such gifts are acknowledged, but donors who wish tax deductions for their gifts to Heterick Memorial Library must obtain their own evaluation.
To donate items, please follow these procedures:
- Please contact the Library to make arrangements for the transfer of the donations.
- An itemized list of materials being offered is appreciated and assists us in assessing the collection.
- All donations must be accompanied by a signed copy of the University Gift-In-Kind form. This form acknowledges that all gifts become the property of Ohio Northern University upon receipt, and that the University may keep or dispose of any accepted gifts at the discretion of Heterick Memorial Library.
- Donors will receive confirmation of their donation from the University with the total number of volumes donated but individual titles will not be listed.
Gifts to Ohio Northern University are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult your tax advisor. For further information, please contact the Office of University Advancement, 1-866-ONU-GIVE or email@example.com.
Heterick Memorial Library
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-Midnight
Friday: 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday: 1 p.m.-Midnight