Heterick Memorial Library in Presser Hall
In 1953 the Heterick Memorial Library was moved from Brown Hall on the front campus to Presser. This was done as part of an effort to gain accreditation for ONU's undergraduate program from the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. A visting inspection team from North Central had been critical of conditions in Brown.
The Willis Auditorium was converted into a reading room by removing the seats, filling in the sloping floor, and pouring a new level concrete surface.
The stage area and the offices and practice rooms behind were converted into work areas and book stacks.
At the time the library was moved into Presser it had a modest collection to serve a student body of 760. By the mid 1960's, enrollment had grown to 2388, and it was obvious that a permanent solution to the library's needs was required.
In 1968, the present Heterick Memorial Library was opened and Presser was returned to the Department of Music.
Connect with ONU: