Just the Facts
Ohio Northern University Department of Art & Design
A competitive private, United Methodist related, coeducational university. The A&D program was established in 1876; first degree in 1961.
ONU Campus: Scenic, beautiful and modern campus covers approximately 300 acres with 31 major buildings.
Village of Ada, Ohio: A small town atmosphere which complements the friendly environment found on campus. Population: 5,000.
A&D Degrees: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts.
Majors: advertising design, art education, graphic design, studio arts.
Concentrations: studio arts/two dimensional, studio arts/three dimensional.
Option: studio arts/art therapy
Interdisciplinary programs: museum studies (managerial and curatorial tracks), multimedia and development. Cross-registrations with the University of Ulster (UK), Burren College of Art (Ireland), Studio Art Centers International (Italy), University of the Arts London (UK).
Enrollment: 45 majors, 23 minors; all undergraduate.
A&D Student Profile: 60% females, 40% males, 3% minorities, 2% international.
A&D Faculty: 4 undergraduate (full-time), 5 undergraduate (part-time). 100% of full-time faculty have terminal degrees. Graduate students do not teach undergraduate courses.
Student/Faculty Ratio: University student-faculty ratio is 14:1. A&D undergraduate student-faculty ratio is 8:1. Average freshman class size is 24. Average freshman class size in the department of art & design is 12.
Student Life: Student groups include Kappa Pi, National Art Education Association, AIGA|The Professional Association for Design, The Student Art League.
Our Evidence of Excellence
The Ohio Northern community is committed to the pursuit of excellence and welcomes applicants who have the same high standards and ambitions. Our department maintains a selective admission policy, accounting for a student body that is enthusiastic about our programs of study.
• The department of art & design is named as one of the top programs in the nation for creative students in Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers (2nd and 3rd editions).
• Named the Private University of the Year by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Programs.
• Forbes Magazine’s list of best colleges (2012) puts Ohio Northern in the top 100 colleges in the Midwest and No. 1 in NW Ohio.
• The university is ranked No. 2 among baccalaureate colleges in the Midwest in U.S. News & World Report, Best Colleges in America (2013).
• Ohio Northern is one of Princeton Review’s Best 378 Colleges (2014).
• Ohio Northern is among the top 100 private four-year colleges and small universities in Peterson’s Competitive College Guide (2012).
• Ohio Northern is named in Colleges of Distinction (2012); a guide profiling America’s most distinguished teaching-centered colleges and universities.
• Ohio Northern is among the top 10 colleges and universities in Ohio (New York Times search site About.com, 2010).
• A new PayScale study released by “Bloomberg BusinessWeek” ranks Ohio Northern University among the top four colleges in the state of Ohio for its return on college investment.
• Listed in Peterson's Cool Colleges 101 guide.