Ruth E. Weir Memorial Award for Internships
The Ruth E. Weir Memorial Award for Internships assists qualified Arts and Sciences students in paying for expenses associated with summer internships.
Past research awardees
You are eligible to apply for this award if you can answer yes to each of the questions below.
- Did you graduate from an Ohio high school (including homeschool) located in either Hancock or Hardin County?
- Are you pursuing a major in the Getty College of Arts and Sciences?
- Do you currently possess a GPA of 2.5 or better?
- Do you intend to complete an internship this summer?
- Have you spoken to your academic advisor, and does he or she approve of your intent to complete this internship?
- After completing the internship this summer, will you have at least one semester remaining before graduation?
Once you have confirmed your eligibility, click here to access the online application.
A complete application consists of five components:
- The online application form
- A 1- to 2-page application essay, to be uploaded with the online application
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae, to be uploaded with the online application
- The Financial Aid for International Study/Domestic Internships form, completed with assistance from a staff member in the Office of Financial Aid
- A letter of support from your academic advisor
Submit the complete application by 4:30 p.m., Monday, March 16, 2015.
Award amounts will be determined holistically, keeping in mind the expenses associated with the internship (travel, room and board, fees, tuition, etc.), the quality of the internship experience, advisor commitment, and applicant need.
Awardees will be selected based on eligibility, quality of the application, commitment of the academic advisor, and quality of the proposed internship.
Preference will be given to students who maintain sole membership in the College of Arts and Sciences, but students who are members of other colleges may be eligible provided they have a dual major in the College of Arts and Science and the internship is relevant to the student’s Arts and Sciences major.
Internships of substance are preferred. However, recognizing that some high-impact internships may be brief (e.g. interning at the meeting of the DNC or the RNC), with the approval of the academic advisor a student may propose an internship of any duration as long as part or all of the experience takes place during the summer.
Review and notification
The four-person Weir Award committee will read all applications and then forward the eligible applications with their recommendations to the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences for final approval. Applicants will be notified by early April of the status of their application.
Grade Point Average
- Students selected for this award must maintain a 2.5 or better overall GPA until beginning the internship.
- If the overall GPA drops below 2.5 after the student has been selected for the award but before he or she begins the internship, that student's application may be re-evaluated.
Completion of Internship
- Students selected for this award must engage in a summer internship or return the awarded funds.
- The student is expected to treat the internship as a full time job; therefore the student should not hold any other positions or jobs during the duration of the internship.
Presentation of Internship Experience
- Students selected for this award must present on his or her internship to the campus community by the end of the academic year. If the student is graduating at the end of the fall term, the internship must be presented before the student graduates.
- If the student fails to present his or her internship, the student must return the awarded funds.
- Dr. Catherine Albrecht, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and members of the Weir Award selection committee should be invited to attend the presentations of Weir Award recipients.
Please contact one of the members of the Weir Award committee.
- Ms. Mary Drzycimski-Finn, email@example.com, 419-772-2987
- Dr. Nicole Karn, firstname.lastname@example.org, 419-772-2258
- Dr. Rema Suniga, email@example.com, 419-772-2323
- Dr. Phillip Zoladz, firstname.lastname@example.org, 419-772-2142