- At A Glance
- Prospective Students
- Music Major Audition Form
- Summer Music Camp
- Music Events
- Music News
- Planning Calendar
- Our Faculty
- Student Profiles
- International Travel
- Student Organizations
- Alumni Profiles
- ONU Choral Day
- Forms for Current Students
- Musical Theatre
- Learning Outcomes
- Ohio Day of Percussion
You are here
Ohio Northern University Music Major Talent Awards
Auditions are required of all students who wish to declare a major in music. This audition also serves as the evaluation for the music major talent award. Accepting the talent award carries with it the requirement to audition for ONU’s concert organizations and to maintain membership good standing in the ensemble(s) assigned.
Applicants must be applied to Ohio Northern University before they can audition for the Music Department.
Any talent scholarships add on top of academic scholarships received.
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra/Wind Orchestra/University Singers
The deadline for non-major talent awards has passed; however, you may still upload an audition at Get Acceptd for partial consideration for an award.
Ohio Northern University non-music major talent awards for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, or University Singers are available to all enrolled students at Ohio Northern University regardless of major. Awards are granted based on the student’s artistic potential as heard in a scheduled audition. Talent award amounts are contingent upon the complete financial aid package.
Musicians who sing/play the following instruments are eligible: Voice, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
Auditions will consist of the following for instrumentalists:
- A prepared unaccompanied solo or etude
- A scale of your choice that is played over the entire range of the instrument
- Sight reading of orchestral excerpts (only for live auditions)
Auditions will consist of the following for choral singers:
- A prepared accompanied solo
Requirements for Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, and University Singers
- Audition for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, or University Singers every year and register for the ensemble assigned each semester
- Instrumentalists: Enroll in the appropriate private lessons at Ohio Northern University during freshman year (not required for choral singers).
- Vocalists: non-major talent award recipients may take voice lessons, depending on availability of instructors—please contact Prof. Kirsten Osbun-Manley at: email@example.com
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, and University Singers Renewal
Talent Awards are renewable as long as the student is in good academic standing and meets the requirements of the Talent Award. The musician on an Orchestra Award does not need to re-audition each year to renew the award; however, seating is determined at the beginning of each year or semester based on auditions.