Welcome to the Music Department at Ohio Northern University! All students interested in majoring in music at Ohio Northern must go through the Office of Admissions to submit an Admissions Application. Ohio Northern is now waiving all application fees for applications submitted online!
In addition to submitting an Ohio Northern University admissions application, interested students must schedule a music major audition through the Department of Music.
Music Major Auditions
Auditions are required of all students who wish to declare a major in music. The music major audition process also determines Talent Award consideration.
For each music major audition day, there are two sessions available: 9:00 AM-noon and 1:00 PM-4:00 PM. Students and parents should plan to be here for the whole length of time of the session scheduled for. The session will start with a general meeting followed by auditions. Individual audition times will be given during the general meeting. Music Major Audition Requirements vary by instrument.
If interested in auditioning to become a music major, fill out the Music Major Audition Form provided on the website.
Ohio Northern University is now accepting online auditions for students interested in pursuing degrees in Bachelor of Music in Education or Performance, or a Bachelor Arts in Music.
Click here to upload your audition now.
2014-2015 Music Major Audition Dates:
- January 18, 2014
- February 1, 2014
- February 15, 2014
- March 22, 2014
- April 5, 2014
If you are unable to make any of the above dates, please upload your audition to https://app.getacceptd.com/onumusic For questions about the audition dates or problems with your audition upload, please contact the Office of Admissions at 888-408-4668.
Please visit our Degree Program and Ensemble pages for more information.
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony/Wind Orchestra
Ohio Northern University non-music major talent awards for Symphony or Wind Orchestra are available to all enrolled students at Ohio Northern University regardless of major. Awards are granted based on the student’s artistic potential as heard in a scheduled audition. Talent award amounts are contingent upon the complete financial aid package.
There are two options for non-music major auditions.
1. Upload a recording digitally through Acceptd. Click here to upload your audition now.
2. A live audition when you visit campus on your own. Live Non-Music Major Auditions can be set up on an individual basis through contacting Kelly Holtgrefe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Musicians who play the following instruments are eligible: Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Percussion, Piano, Harp.
Live and Digital Acceptd Auditions will consist of the following:
- A solo or etude that demonstrates their ability
- As many scales as you know
Requirements for Recipients of Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Orchestra
- Audition for Symphony Orchestra/Wind Orchestra every year and register for the ensemble assigned each semester
- Enroll in the appropriate private lessons at Ohio Northern University during freshman year.
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Orchestra Renewal
Talent Awards are renewable as long as the student is in good academic standing and meets the requirements of the Talent Award. The musician on an Orchestra Award does not need to re-audition each year to renew the award, however, seating is determined at the beginning of each year based on auditions.
We strongly encourage all interested students to schedule a campus visit. The campus visit is arranged according to your degree and interests. To set up a campus visit, contact the Admissions Office by calling (419) 772-2260 or 1-888-408-4668.
- Observe an Ensemble rehearsal
- Attend Music Theory, Aural Skills or Introduction to Music class
- Receive a complimentary lesson from applied study area instructor
- Meet with Music Department Chair, Dr. Thomas Hunt
- Attend a Student Recital or Concert
- Music Department tour and/or general campus tour
- Financial Aid Meeting
- Lunch with music major and/or music faculty
- Overnight stay with music major
If overnight accommodations are necessary, The Inn at Ohio Northern University is available. When making a reservation, mention that you are with admissions on a campus visit for a discounted price.