- At A Glance
- Prospective Students
- Music Major Audition Form
- Summer Music Camp
- Music Events
- Music News
- Planning Calendar
- Our Faculty
- Student Profiles
- International Travel
- Student Organizations
- Alumni Profiles
- ONU Choral Day
- Forms for Current Students
- Musical Theatre
- Learning Outcomes
- Ohio Day of Percussion
You are here
The ONU Music Department provides students with an array of ensembles, from large orchestras, bands and choirs to small chamber ensembles of four or five musicians. All ensembles are open to students from all ONU colleges and academic programs, and a broad mix of majors is found in most groups.
Directors of auditioned ensembles hold their auditions in the fall and set the roster for the year. Some limited auditions for open positions are held in January.
Registration in ensembles does not incur the "billable hour." Thus, busy students who are already at the maximum 19 credit hours can register without extra expense.
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra/Wind Orchestra/University Singers
The deadline for non-major talent awards has passed; however, you may still upload an audition at Get Acceptd for partial consideration for an award.
Ohio Northern University non-music major talent awards for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, or University Singers are available to all enrolled students at Ohio Northern University regardless of major. Awards are granted based on the student’s artistic potential as heard in a scheduled audition. Talent award amounts are contingent upon the complete financial aid package.
An audition with Acceptd.com is encouraged, but live auditions are also acceptable. Non-Music Major Auditions are scheduled on an individual basis through contacting Kelly Holtgrefe at email@example.com.
Musicians who sing/play the following instruments are eligible: Voice, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute/Piccolo, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Oboe/English Horn, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Timpani, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
Auditions will consist of the following for instrumentalists:
- A prepared unaccompanied solo or etude
- A scale of your choice that is played over the entire range of the instrument
- Sight reading of orchestral excerpts (only in live auditions)
Auditions will consist of the following for choral singers:
- A prepared accompanied solo
Requirements for Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, and University Singers
- Audition for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, or University Singers every year and register for the ensemble assigned each semester
- Instrumentalists: Enroll in the appropriate private lessons at Ohio Northern University during freshman year
- Vocalists: non-major talent award recipients may take voice lessons, depending on availability of instructors—please contact Prof. Kirsten Osbun-Manley at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Music Major Talent Award for Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, and University Singers Renewal
Talent Awards are renewable as long as the student is in good academic standing and meets the requirements of the Talent Award. The musician on an Orchestra Award does not need to re-audition each year to renew the award; however, seating is determined at the beginning of each year or semester based on auditions.