You are here
Department of English
English offers students a rich and rewarding experience in reading and producing texts in a variety of media. In addition to offering a broad and diverse background in various topics in English studies, our department provides students with critical-thinking and communication skills necessary for professional success and engaged citizenship.
Studying English is an excellent way to prepare for almost any advanced degree, including law and business. ONU’s English graduates become successful teachers, writers, editors, and business professionals. As an additional benefit, graduates of ONU's English programs enjoy a lifetime of literary and artistic fulfillment.
- The English department uniquely offers four distinct majors:
- As a first or second major, English naturally complements most other disciplines, including art, economics, philosophy, political science, and sociology
- Students obtain hands-on, professional publication experience on one of two publications
- Students graduate with a strong foundation in theory and practice and with a portfolio of publications appropriate for graduate school and employment applications
- Seniors develop a capstone project, which can be submitted for publication or conference presentations
- ONU English majors expand their horizons through experiential learning, including internships, study abroad, and conference travel