Five Day Field Experiences
EDUC 1151 Culture and Schooling
EDUC 1501 Five-Day Field Experience I
The EDUC 1115/1501 Five-Day is an early field experience designed to provide the teacher education candidate with opportunities for observation and participation with students and teachers in a school setting for five consecutive days - with a minimum of 35 hours (not to exceed 50 hours). This experience must be in a racially/ethnically diverse setting. The field experience is graded S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory) based on the completion of the objectives. Registration for EDUC 1151/1501 (five-day experience) will be for the semester following your experience. The five-day experience can be completed as follows:
• Thanksgiving Break - part of finals week, part of Thanksgiving Week. This time can only be used if your final exam schedule allows it. Register for EDUC 1501- Spring Semester
• Spring Break - register for EDUC 1501 Spring Semester
• Summer - 2 options
o the week immediately following Spring Semester
o the week before classes start Fall Semester
(Registration for EDUC 1501 must be done Fall Semester for either option.)
You will be required to attend, observe and participate for five consecutive school days - with a minimum of 35 hours, not to exceed 50 hours - in an educational setting. Reporting this experience requires you to:
• Participate in a variety of teaching/learning situations
• Confer with the supervising teacher on a regular basis.
• Prepare a written log of daily experiences.
• Complete the demographic survey.
• Complete EDUC 1151/1501 paper on Diversity
You need to complete two Five-Day field experiences during your college career. The definitions for meeting required diversity are:
• Racially diverse - minimum of 10% minority enrollment.
• Culturally diverse - at least 10% of students have differences that meet at least one of the following criteria of cultural diversity: differences among groups of people and individuals based on
o socio-economic status
o sexual orientation
o geographical area
The diverse settings for your field experience are completed one at a time. The remaining diverse settings will be completed during your second Five-Day experience or through your course field experiences.
The pre-conference for your EDUC 1151/1501 Five-Day Field Experience will be made during your EDUC 1151 class time.
You will need to do the following during class time:
• Request form
• Ensuring Good Moral Character form
• Look over the Field Experience Activities Sheet. You need to make every effort to complete these activities.
• The autobiographical forms need to be completed and returned with the packet. Pay attention to punctuation, paragraphs, and be sure to proofread before you turn in your information.
• Please type the autobiographical form. This sheet is sent to the school when the request is made. Please type the question, then your answer.
The Executive Education Placement Specialist will send the application to the school of your choice. If the school approves your application, you will be notified.
Register for EDUC 1501 the semester after you complete the field experience. If you completed the 5-day over Thanksgiving Break - register for Spring semester. If you completed the 5-day over Spring Break, register for Spring Semester. If you completed the 5-day after Spring Semester ends or before Fall Semester begins, register for Fall Semester.
• OH-ONU K1.a - develops understanding of differences among groups of people and individuals based on ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, exceptionalities, language, religion, sexual orientation, and geographical area.
• OH-ONU K1.b - knows and appreciates that knowledge is impacted by the multiple perspectives of the "knowers" who come from a multicultural, pluralistic society.
• OH-ONU D1.b - believes all students can learn and is willing to adjust instruction to meet individual learning needs. This is indicated by a teacher candidate who believes that all students are ready to learn although they might not learn the same thing at the same time. The teacher candidate also is willing to adjust instruction and consider different motivational strategies in order to meet learning needs of individual students.
• OH-ONU K5.b - knows what is needed to establish a safe, supportive learning environment.
Upon completion of the field experience, complete the assignment details outlined in the application. Once the field placement office receives the evaluation form from your cooperating teacher, you will receive a letter concerning the details of the debriefing seminar. Attendance and participation in this seminar is required for a (S) satisfactory completion of the EDUC 1151/1501 field experience.
EDUC 1521 - FIVE-DAY FIELD EXPERIENCE II
EDUC 1521 is an early field experience designed to provide teacher education candidates with opportunities for observation and participation with students and teachers in a school setting for five consecutive school days - a minimum of 35 hours. Approval of the academic advisor is required prior to this experience and it is strongly recommended that this field experience not be completed at the end of the academic year. The course is graded S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory) based on the completion of the objectives.
Application and Pre-Conference
• Pick up an EDUC 1521 Five-Day Field Experience packet from the Field Experience Coordinator.
• Complete the application form and the autobiography. Please type the autobiographical form on a separate sheet. Samples are attached to this packet. If you have any questions regarding completion of this form, please see the Field Experience Coordinator. Please pay attention to punctuation, paragraphs, and spelling. Be sure to proofread before you turn in your application.
• Turn the completed forms to the Field Experience Coordinator in the Education Department. Pay attention to deadline dates for turning in these requests.
• The Field Experience Coordinator will apply to the school of your choice. If the school approves your application, you will be notified and a pre-conference meeting will be scheduled.
Register for EDUC 1521 the semester after you complete the field experience. If you completed the 5-Day over Thanksgiving Break - register for spring semester. If you completed the 5-Day over Spring Break - register for spring semester. If you completed the 5-Day before fall semester begins - register for fall semester.