Communication and Media Studies Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate an understanding of public relations history.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of primary and secondary research in public relation and planning an ability to apply appropriate research methods.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze public relations cases.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the ethical and social responsibilities of public relations practitioners and organizations, as well as the approaches available for resolving ethical dilemmas.
- Demonstrate an understanding of communications and public relations theories.
- Demonstrates an ability to utilize an effective and strategic communications plan that includes research, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrate proficiency in writing (informational and persuasive).
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral communication.
- Able to identify communication systems in society.
- Demonstrates knowledge of communication process relating to journalism.
- Able to utilize skills in journalistic writing and basic audio and video production as recognized by multimedia facilities.
- Demonstrates knowledge of strengths and weaknesses of communication process relating to journalism.
- Demonstrates proficiency in writing skills as recognized by journalism facilities.
- Be firmly grounded in knowledge of past, present and future systems of communication, in particular, print and electronic media.
- Be proficient in the use of oral, written and technical communication skills necessary to enter the field of multimedia journalism.
- Be proficient in the use of convergent media and social media.
- Be able to analyze media use in society.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics and the laws that govern the mass media industry.
- Gain professional experience through service in internship positions.