You are here
At a glance: Public Relations
The Public Relations curriculum helps students learn both conceptual and functional skills. Internships and activities courses provide exceptional opportunities for students to develop contact among area professionals and to produce materials to include in their portfolios. Visit the department's web site.
- Hands-on experience in chosen field
- Opportunities to double major in most areas of the University and minor in any area of specific interest
- Exciting internship and international study abroad programs
- One of only 30 programs in the U.S. to be certified for education in public relations (CEPR) by the Public Relations Society of America
- Award-winning faculty who are actively engaged in research and the profession
- Nationally recognized chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- National accredited student-run public relations firm
- Students can interact with professionals and students from other campuses both regionally and nationally
- PRSSA members are matched with professional mentors across the country
Classes in public relations are held in the Smith Educational wing of the Freed Center for the Performing Arts. This facility also includes a state of the art computer lab with a Mac platform, scanner, printer and cutting edge software.
True North Communication – nationally affiliated student-run public relations firm; Lambda Pi Eta – national communication honorary; Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)
- Students are placed in positions related to their interests including government, non-profit, public relations firms, sports and healthcare.
- High graduation placement rates
- National and regional scholarship winners
- Highly competitive in national student campaign competitions
- Students have presented at National Communication conferences
A wide variety of internships exist. Faculty work hard to help place students in internship in not just PR, but specifically in an area of interest within public relations. Students have held internships in the Hardin county community, hospitals in Lima and Findlay, ODOT, and Civic Center. Outside the area, students have held internships with organizations, corporations and agencies nationwide, including Ketchum Public Relations, Waggener Edstrom Public Relations, Ohio State Fair and Expo Public Relations, Fahlgren Mortine Public Relations, Warner Brothers, Inc., Nationwide Insurance, Cedar Point, Ohio Governor and Congressional offices and many others.
In the spotlight
Student Run Public Relations Firm — True North Communication, the student-run public relations firm at ONU, has been recognized as one of PRSSA’s nationally affiliated student-run firms. This is a high honor that requires firms to adhere to seven standards for excellence in practice established by PRSSA and to report regularly on their activities to the board of directors of the Central Ohio PRSA chapter. ONU students have won competitive internships with