At a glance: Music
"Studying music at ONU is a great opportunity because of the variety. You can be in different performing ensembles, conduct different groups, accompany lessons and recitals, and audition for musicals and operas. This leads me to be a well-rounded and well-prepared musician for the competitive job market."
St. Marys, Ohio
Ohio Northern University’s Music Department provides an ideal environment for music learning: outstanding faculty, excellent facilities and a long tradition of student success. The programs are designed by the faculty with student success in mind, and small class sizes provide lively interaction between students and faculty. Exceptional performance opportunities abound with multiple choirs, instrumental ensembles and fully staged musical theatre and opera productions. The department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Visit the Department of Education for more information on teacher licensure program.
Music majors earn a bachelor of arts degree. Concentrations in music history and literature and music theory and composition are available and in some cases required.
- Many of ONU’s music faculty – 10 full-time and 20 adjunct professors – possess national and international reputations as performers and scholars. They are, first and foremost, dedicated teachers and devoted mentors. A true camaraderie of learning is the basis of the close relationship between faculty and students.
- Instrumentalists compete for placement in ONU Wind Orchestra, ONU Symphony Orchestra, ONU Symphonic Band, ONU Jazz Band and ONU Marching Band, the pit orchestra for musicals, operetta and operas and many smaller chamber music groups.
- Vocalists compete for placement in University Singers, Northernaires, Men’s Chorus, Women’s Chorus and an array of small ensembles. A well-developed opera workshop prepares students for small opera scenes productions as well as fully staged professional-quality musical theatre, operetta and opera productions.
- ONU’s vocal and instrumental ensembles travel regularly, domestically and abroad. Recent trips have been to Rome, China, Estonia, Montreal and New York City.
State-of-the-art classrooms and practice rooms (each with well-maintained pianos), ample rehearsal space and the remarkably beautiful Snyder Recital Hall are housed in Presser Hall, the hub of the department’s activities. Music faculty and administrative offices are also located in Presser Hall. Orchestra concerts, band concerts and fully staged musical theatre productions take place in the renowned Freed Center for the Performing Arts, a modern theatre center considered to be one of the finest in Northwest Ohio. A modern dedicated music technology lab is housed in Heterick Memorial Library.
Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Delta Omicron, Ohio Collegiate Music Educators Association, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- Vienna Christian School, Austria
- Ohio Northern University
- Remo Corporation Inc.
- Lindenwood University
- Capital University
- Lima Symphony Orchestra
- Rettig Music
- ONU Summer Theater
- National Music Museum
- Dueling Arts International
- Graves Piano and Orchestra
- Chautauqua Association
- St. Louis Bach Society
- St. Louis Symphony Chorus
- European Opera Companies
- South Dakota Symphony Orchestra
Northwestern University, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, The Ohio State University, Eastman School of Music, American University, University of Virginia, Indiana University, Florida State University, University of Wisconsin, Western Michigan University, Bowling Green State University, Indiana State University
Graduates from ONU’s Department of Music enjoy immediate job or graduate school placement. Career opportunities include public school teaching, professional performance, graduate school placement, placement in music business fields, private music instructors and church musicians. Because ONU offers a strong academic core curriculum and is dedicated to teaching in a liberal arts environment, some music graduates pursue careers outside of music. Several have gone on to be successful attorneys, business leaders and health care professionals.