You are here
At a glance: French
"Studying Paris reinforced my love of French that has been building at ONU. There’s such a variety of classes in the Department of Modern Languages; I am always learning something new. Every class builds on previous knowledge, but they all add a new facet to language development. The faculty is always there to help – they truly care about what is happening in our lives."
A major in modern languages promotes communication with other cultures on their own terms through the study of their language, literature, people and history. A major in modern languages encourages real understanding between people through mutual knowledge and respect. A major in modern languages opens a door to the diversity of our world. Visit the department's web site.
French majors interested in teaching (grades 7-12) may complete additional course work in the Department of Education required to become a licensed teacher. The licensure areas include Foreign Languages (Spanish, French, German). Visit the Department of Education.
- New students with high school language experience may take placement exams to facilitate enrollment at the proper level.
- Chinese and Japanese are offered at elementary and intermediate levels.
- Study-abroad opportunities are available in France, Germany, Spain, Costa Rica, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan, China and many other countries.
- Study abroad is strongly encouraged. (German majors are required to study abroad.)
- Modern languages majors often pursue a second major in areas such as international studies, art, music, engineering, criminal justice, natural sciences, business, education or pharmacy.
Located in the historic Dukes Memorial Building, the Department of Modern Languages features classrooms equipped for multimedia instruction.
Phi Beta Delta – International studies honorary, Pi Delta Phi – French honorary, Le Cercle Français – French club
Our graduates have been hired by employers such as Whirlpool, Turner Broadcasting, Deloitte and Touche, Siemens, Alliance Data Systems, American Express, Ohio Public Schools, the Peace Corps and the U.S. Government
Our graduates go on to top graduate schools such as Tulane University, Syracuse University, University of Pittsburgh, the University of Wisconsin at Madison and UCLA.
Proficiency in a foreign language and in-depth knowledge of other cultures are essential components of success in today’s international marketplace. Our graduates find work in engineering, communications, human resources, administration, accounting, marketing, library science, social work and teaching.