Pre-Departure Resource Information
Passport and Visa information:
The Study Abroad Office can assist you with obtaining the required documentation for foreign study. In many cases, you will be required to travel to the U.S. regional consulate of the country in which you wish to study. Each country has unique student visa application requirements, and for some countries a visa is not required for summer programs.
USAC, ISA, and Globalinks programs offer visa assistanceincluded in their program fee (the visa fee itself is not included). This assistance typically includes documentation that will be required for the visa application.
- Ada, Ohio, and regional Post Office Passport Application Service information.
- U.S. Government Passport Application Website.
- Information on visa requirements worldwide.
- A searchable database of the world’s embassies.
Health & Safety:
Ohio Northern University is dedicated to providing our students with the safest and healthiest learning environments while they are abroad. To this end we continuously monitor the U.S. State Department’s travel warnings for specific countries and provide our students with the information they need to have a safe and healthy overseas educational experience.
For study abroad destinations requiring immunizations, please contact the local Department of Health for an appointment.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Traveler’s Health.
- World Health Organization.
- Mobility International, resources for travelers with disabilities.
- U.S. Department of State country specific information, warnings and alerts.
- U.S. State Department’s travel tips for students.
- U.S. State Department’s general travel tips.
- Center for Global Education, safety tips for overseas travel.
Pre-departure cultural adjustment and preparation resources:
Researching your host country before you leave will help you understand some of their culture and customs before you arrive.
- Library of Congress, Federal Research Division – Country Studies.
- The Peace Corps Cross-Cultural Workbook.
- Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition.
Travel planning resources:
Budget travel guides such as Frommers, Lonely Planet, Let's Go, and Rough Guides are recommended and are available from your local bookstore or online merchant.
Online student discount travel resources:
Online travel resources:
Information on European rail passes:
Lehr Memorial 122
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.