OUR PIONEERING ATTITUDE IS OUR OLDEST TRADITION.
Ohio Northern’s ambitious, pioneering attitude has been alive since the very beginning. The school started with a single person and a single idea. With the help of the community, Henry Solomon Lehr founded the Northwestern Ohio Normal School in 1871. When the college’s curriculum grew to include pharmacy, engineering, law and business programs, its name was changed to Ohio Normal University and, eventually, in 1903, Ohio Northern University.